HEALTHY FAMILY HOME– Every family can be a healthy family. By helping families to focus on the small steps that form the foundations of the pillars, we can help them feel stronger, healthier, and more connected. Healthy Family Home, generously supported by Eli Lilly and Company, helps families across America improve their home environments to adopt healthier habits. Aligning with the Y’s cause of improving the nation’s health and well-being and promoting the belief that healthy children come from healthy families, Healthy Family Home focuses on a holistic approach by helping families integrate regular physical activity with healthy food choices and building healthy, strong relationships.
Ten Signs of a Healthy Family Home
1. Water is the beverage of choice, supplemented by 100% fruit juices and low-fat milk.
2. Fruits or vegetables are served at every meal including some fresh fruit or veggie options daily.
3. Snack time includes foods that contain whole grains and protein instead of saturated and trans fats.
4. Kids and adults are moving and playful for at least an hour per day, outside and together whenever possible.
5. Kids and adults are breaking a sweat at least three times per week for 20 minutes or more.
6. Kids are provided with frequent opportunities to play outdoors in ways that are unstructured and exploratory. Play experiences in nature take place often.
7. The family dines together at least once every day, with kids involved in meal preparation and clean-up.
8. Kids all receive daily one-on-one time with an adult.
9. Television and video game time is limited to two hours per day.
10. Kids and adults keep to a regular schedule that helps everyone get enough sleep. For the kids that means 10—12 hours per night, and seven – eight for the adults.
- Healthy Family Home Newsletter
- Healthy Family Home Adult Guide
- Eat Healthy
- Play Every Day
- Get Together
- Go Outside
- Sleep Well
- Need more ideas…check out the Family Dinner Project
Eating Out…check out these facts about fast food establishments.