- Register for TEEN ACHIEVERS Afterschool Program Here!
- Register Online for Teen Activities and Events, Click Here!
Teen Achievers Program
In 1967, this program began in Houston, TX to provide African American teens with a positive sense of self and aspirations for professional careers in the workforce. The purpose of YMCA Achievers is “to help teens set and pursue high educational and career goals resulting in graduation and acceptance to an institution of higher learning.”
The Peoria YMCA Teen Achievers program is one of many throughout the country. Through academic aid, career exploration and mentoring, this program helps youth to raise their academic standards, develop a positive sense of self, build character, explore diverse college and career options, and learn from role models who inspire them to greater heights.
- When: Monday-Friday
- Time: 3-6pm
- Where: Greater Peoria Family YMCA
- Who: Youth ages 11-14
- Cost: This a FREE program, for both YMCA member and non-members
We pick up students at the following locations, Rolling Acres, Charles Lindbergh, and Sterling after school and bring them back to the YMCA.
The Achievers Teen Program will focus on:
- Life skills
- Career exploration
- S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
- Academic assistance
- Togetherhood (Volunteer & Social Services)
Through generous funding partners, there is no cost to the family and student. We are supported by a grant through Department of Human Services.
The Greater Peoria Family YMCA is a proud partner agency of the Heart of Illinois United Way.
Resources for furthering your career and education:
- College Track
- Career Cruising (free to all 150 students)
- SkillsUSA-Illinois (program offered at the YMCA this summer)
- Free Think U
- Better Worlded