There isn’t much better than giving back to the community that serves you!
Peoria YMCA staff and members assist at the Midwest Food Bank about once a month to serve in a variety of capacities: from measuring and sealing food blends, to packaging and sorting boxes. Our next Midwest Food Bank opportunity is Wednesdays, November 19 from 2-4.
We often have volunteer opportunities in the community — whether on campus at the Y or in other organizations. As a non-profit organization, we believe that serving the Peoria area is more than just the Peoria area. It means we are serving individuals, families, and the people who interact with our members and nonmembers. We believe that good work spreads through service, and makes it a better place to be.
We know that when we work together, we move individuals, families and communities forward. Since 1844, the Y has responded to society’s most pressing needs by developing innovative, community-based solutions and uniting people from all walks of life to participate in and work for positive social change. Whether providing job training to a newly single parent, advocating for affordable, healthy food options for under served communities, or helping newcomers transition well into their new neighborhoods, the Y is committed to giving all people the tools and support to live healthy, connected and secure lives.
It is Midwest Food Bank’s mission to gather large food donations from nationwide corporations and distribute them to social service organizations, as well as, national disaster sites, at no charge. We do not want to ask the organizations we serve to cover our overhead through the purchase of food; therefore, we desire to receive and distribute in-kind donations at no cost.
WHEN: Wednesdays, November 19
WHO: Y-Members and the Community
WHAT: Packaging foods and materials
WHERE: 9005 N. Industrial Rd. Peoria, IL 61615
WHEN: from 2-4pm
Download registration from our website or pick them up at the Y
Please RSVP to Paul the Monday before we meet via email: email@example.com or 309.692.7631 ext 230.
(All Dates) Form 2: http://peoria.midwestfoodbank.org/file/4
- “Our Y is running a nationwide program called Togetherhood. It provides Y members with an easy, fun, and rewarding way to volunteer for service projects that strengthen the community where we live. The program is led by a committee of Y members that helps organize and run four service projects a year.
We are looking for Y members to join our Service Committee. Folks who are:
- passionate about the benefits of service and volunteering;
- represent the diversity of our community and membership;
- and are willing and able to be an advocate for the benefits of service with Y members and community partners.
The commitment for the members of this Service Committee will be to
- attend a minimum number of monthly meetings (time and date TBD) for a one-year term;
- select and lead, or co-lead, one of four community service projects each year, using the YMCA Togetherhood Toolkit;
- and invite members, friends, and family from within their social networks
If you are interested please email or call Paul Larson at firstname.lastname@example.org